DC Fashion Gal's Favorite Things of 2011


As 2012 draws closer and closer, I thought I would share my Top 10 Favorite Things of 2011:

10. Skinny jeans.

From J Brand to Old Navy, skinny jeans were one of my favorite things to wear this year.  In the summer, I paired them with sky high heels and a chiffon DVF blouse.  Now that the weather is a bit cooler, I am wearing either ankle booties or flat knee high boots for an easy weekend look.  In 2012, I hope to find more Old Navy skinny jeans in fun colors like deep red and perhaps ocean blue as Spring gets closer.

9. Gilt Groupe.

As a busy mom, Gilt Groupe has been my online shopping.  From women to children's to home decor, Gilt.com has pretty much everything you could ask for! Not familiar with Gilt Groupe? Essentially it's a Members Only (email me at dcfashionscene@gmail.com for an invitation!) sample sale website with rock bottom prices and a unique selection.  From Tibi dresses to House of Harlow 1960 sunglasses, I have found so many great fashion essentials this year.  In 2012, I am hoping for a DVF wrap dress sample sale and more from children's brands like Tea Collection and Appaman.

8. Estadio.

One of my favorite meals of 2011 was at Estadio in Logan Circle for amazing tapas and amazing atmosphere. From the house marinated olives to the patatas bravas, this restaurant is sublime.  The interior of the restaurant has a cool chic look with exposed brick walls and a communal dining table in the middle of the main room. In 2012, I hope to return again with friends to share in great food and great conversation.

7. Sephora brand foundation and primer.

Like all of you fashionistas out there, I love a bargain.  And I especially love a beauty bargain that looks as great as high-end cosmetic brands and costs a lot less.  This year I discovered Sephora's brand of foundation and primer and I love them both.  With the economy as it is, there's nothing better than saving money while still looking great.  In 2012, I intend to find more beauty bargains and share them with all of you!

6. Fashion street style photos taken by the legendary Bill Cunningham.

When I watched the documentary on the legendary street style photographer, Bill Cunningham, I became a bigger admirer of not only his work but his approach to life.  From living in a teeny tiny room to wearing the same outfit each and every day, Mr. Cunningham shows us how to truly live life and enjoy everything around him.  I look forward to his photographs in 2012 to inspire me to take more fashion risks and truly live my life.

5. Washington DC area food trucks.

Is there anything better than a fresh lobster roll from Red Hook Lobster food truck? I can't think of anything right now although Kimchi BBQ tacos are pretty amazing as well.  This summer I had the chance to check out these glorious food trucks at the Truckeroo, the monthly food event where many of the local food trucks gather by the Nationals Stadium for a one-stop dining experience.  From lively music to bean bag toss, this is a great way to experience the best of food trucks dining.  During the week, the food trucks can be found clustered near the Faragut North metro station. In 2012, I hope to try out a few new DC area food trucks and share them with you all!

4.  Nike Women Tech running capris.

My favorite workout gear this year came from Nike apparel.  I love their tech capri for their sleek design and lightweight material.  Throughout the year, I aim to workout 5 days a week and these pants have looked great through many many workouts.  In 2012, I hope to buy a few more of these great capris to keep my workouts intense and stylish!

3.  OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network) TV Visionaries:  Inside The Creative Mind series.

Each of these hour-long documentaries inspire me to create more and work harder.  From Tom Ford to will.i.am, OWN TV has brought an amazing series to life.  I love the intimate feel of the series as if I'm having a conversation with a friend.  For 2012, I would love to see more women such as:  Diane Von Furstenberg, Gwen Stefani, J.K. Rowling, and Wanda Sykes.

2. DVF Wrap dresses.

I've said it many, many times but I could not live without my DVF wrap dresses this year.  In the summer, I pair them with strappy sandals or my favorite ballet flats.  Now that it's winter, I add a pair of black tights and knee high boots.  From the gorgeous prints to the perfect fit, there is something sublime about wearing DVF wrap dresses over and over again.  In 2012, I intend to add to my collection with perhaps a vintage wrap dress or a new colorful one for the Spring.

1.  Tweeting about fashion.

This year I attempted to use Twitter much, much more and have loved every second of it.  From the amazing people I've 'met' to the inspiring stories and ideas, Twitter is my #1 favorite thing this year. I have enjoyed sharing my 'Just Spotted' tweets as well as engaging with my loyal followers.  In 2012, I look forward tweeting about fashion some more and hopefully get to know more fashionistas in the Twitter world.

Ciao!

3 comments:

Christen said...

I loved reading your 2011 list, and can't wait to see what new things you discover and enjoy in 2012. Personally, I wish I could add DC food trucks to my list, but for some reason where I live and work (Old Town Alexandria) is the one place in the DMV they never come. It's so disappointing. Here's to changing that in 2012!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much!

Ava said...

Wasn't Visionaries great? OWN is bringing back Master Class; not everyone was good at talking for the hour, but Jane Fonda will be featured next season, and given her command of the language and life experience, I suspect she will be excellent.

Love your list and am looking forward to your Tweets!